Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Do It Scared

Have you ever gone about your regular routine and have it end up leading to a "milestone moment"? You know, the kind of moment that you look back on later and realize it totally changed you? That happened to me a couple weeks ago. I’ve been attending a fabulous workout/dance class called REFIT that is basically dancing like crazy for an hour and having a blast, followed by an encouraging message and prayer. It’s my favorite workout ever, and something that I've done almost every week for about 4 years now. In spite of all of that time, though, and the fact that I've learned the dances pretty well, I’d never once wanted to be up on the stage leading a song like the amazing instructors I've had do week in and week out. I remember my first REFIT instructors having a song where they would randomly select people in the crowd to go up on stage and dance, and I would literally flee the room when I knew that was happening. I DID NOT want that kind of attention or pressure! I was content to stay in the back row, hidden in the shadows, enjoying the workout as well as the anonymity.


Fast forward a couple of years and now one of my closest friends teaches my REFIT class. I've been able to overcome my need to stay in the back row, and actually prefer to be in the front row of class so I can see better (being barely 5 feet tall doesn't lend itself well to seeing my teachers from behind other people). On this particular night, my friend pulled me aside and told me she had noticed that I knew the dances well, and I had what it takes to lead a song “sometime." "You know what you're doing!" she said, "So that means you're ready to lead a song or two." I was flattered, of course, especially having it come from someone I admire so much, and I told her “Sure, ok, yeah. I think I could do that now, sometime, as long as I had time to practice beforehand.” Then I let it go, figuring I didn't need to worry about it for at least another week, when the next class would be. 

Well, halfway into that class, that very night, my friend called me out. "Hey! You know this song. Come up here.” 


>>>Head over to Raising Rices' blog to read what happened next.<<<

No comments:

Post a Comment